Objective: E/LA 9.7 Write informative/explanatory texts to examine and convey complex ideas, concepts, and Information clearly and accurately through the effective selection, organization, and analysis of content.
1. Read aloud Chapter 31
2. Chapter titles jigsaw
3. Project themes... discuss the themes and how some will connect to setting, characters, and conflict
4. Review EA 2 in SB, pages 405-408
5. Students turn and talk about their understanding of the writing project.
6. Ask students to ask their questions for the whole class to hear (not sit and wait and then say, "What are we doing?" or "I don't know what we're doing").
7. Turn to The Message graphic organizer in spiral.
8. Give students time to look at their notes and decide on a theme + setting/character/conflict they want to work with for EA 2.
9. Give students time to select their passages. Students may choose either one longer passage or a few passages ("pulling it together").
10. Students write out their passage or passages, citing correctly.